Friday 12 February 2016

Welcome to the blog

Converted dual seat TR9 Spitfire lies in a field near Woodchurch
I have finally committed to setting up a blog that I will use to document my thoughts, photos, travels and experiences. Hopefully this will last longer than some of my previous attempts at blogging in which I limited myself to niches such as technology at an age where I couldn't afford anything I wanted to review and had to resort to curating snippets of other people's work (read - blatant plagiarism) into a post of my own.

This photo is one of my favourites. I took it in September of last year when a vintage Spitfire crashed just a few fields from my family home in Kent. After taking off from our neighbour's airfield, it was on its way to be sold for around £3.5 million when it suffered engine failure and was forced to turn back before crash landing in a field soon after the problems began. When I emailed him about, Rob (the neighbour) had this to say: 

"I was at Goodwood, I had flown the Mk.18 Spitfire over from the Hangar 10 Museum at Heringsdorf in Germany, for the Goodwood meeting.  I also flew the TR9 Spitfire but on my way up to Biggin Hill, it suffered engine failure and I had to force land it, not too far from your house, as I was unable to make it back to the Airfield. It is repairable and I was unscathed!."


My dad heard an awful noise above him as headed back from town and stood on the drive watching various emergency vehicles pass on the way to the scene but he was unsure what had happened until the news reports began coming in, briefly making the small village of Shadoxhurst national news! In the evening, when my little sister had returned from school and I from work, we walked the short distance across the fields as a family to take some photos, the best, in my opinion, being this one. Normally I would have brought my Nikon D3200 with me but I had stupidly let the batteries run flat so this was taken with an LG G2. Thankfully, the lovely sunset was still captured.

Please stay involved with my blog for more posts like this, often accompanied with a photo of my own.

Relevant links:
News report on the incident
Larger picture and my 500px account
More information on Rob Davies MBE
Rob's personal website - Woodchurch Warbirds 



No comments:

Post a Comment